Hastings College Football Preview - Week One
The Broncos open up the 2020 season against Dakota Wesleyan
HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - College football returns to Central Nebraska this Saturday. After four weeks of practice Hastings College will hold their season opener this Saturday. The Broncos finished 2-8 a season ago with a team full of inexperience. That’s not the case this year, as they expect to take a step forward.
Let’s take a look at everything you need to know for this Saturday’s matchup.
Game Day Details
- Hastings College vs. Dakota Wesleyan
- September 12, at 1 p.m.
- At Lloyd Wilson Field - Be sure to check Hastings College’s venue
- 2019 Score - Dakota Wesleyan (3-8) 30, Hastings College (2-8) 7
- The Broncos entered camp with a battle at the quarterback position between sophomores Jesse Ulrich and Johnny Zamora. Head Coach Tony Harper is going with Ulrich to start things off Saturday, but hasn’t ruled out giving Zamora some snaps as well.
Keys to the Game:
- Week one of the football season always brings loads of excitement. Obviously this year there will be even more excitement with everything that has taken place. Harper believes that whatever team can keep those emotions in check the best could have an edge.
-Turnovers/Penalties and how the team responds
- Harper expects there to be plenty of mistakes made by both teams Saturday because it is week one. The team that limits those mistakes, and has a short memory when they do make them, will have the upper leg.
-High tempo on offense, tighten up pass defense
- Harper says the team has been working these past four weeks to play on offense at a faster speed. He knows the seven points they scored in the matchup isn’t going to cut it. He also has put an emphasis on pass defense. The Tigers' quarterback Zach Lester gashed the Broncos through the air for 243 yards last season. He is back this season for his junior year. The secondary is more experienced this year, and Harper says they need to deliver Saturday to pull out the win.
We will have highlights of the big game for you Saturday on Local 4.
Copyright 2020 KSNB. All rights reserved.