Four men arrested in Grand Island shooting, stabbing

Published: Oct. 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (KSNB) - Grand Island police arrested four men on Thursday following a shooting and stabbing incident that took place earlier in the morning.

According to police, around 12 p.m. the Grand Island Police Department Criminal Investigations Division along with the Tactical Response Team executed a search warrant at 611 Yund Street in reference the shooting that had occurred in the early morning hours.

During the search, Abdikadir Abdi, 30, Grand Island was taken into custody. Police said as Abdi was taken into custody, he was found to have a loaded firearm in his waistband. The firearm was defaced and was also found to have been stolen out of Hastings. During the search of Abdi’s room, a small amount of marijuana was located along with methamphetamine, digital scale, and plastic bags which is indicative of drug distribution. A criminal record check of Abdi’s showed that he was a convicted felon out of Minnesota.

Abdi was arrested on numerous charges including Attemtped 1st Degree Murder, 1st Degree Assault, Use of Firearm to Commit Felony(x3), Terroristic Threats, Poss. Stolen Firearm, Poss. Defaced Firearm, Poss. Cont. Substance(meth) w/intent to distribute, Poss. Marijuana Less oz, Poss. Firearm by Prohibited Person.

Three other males were arrested as well, Omer Yusuf, 26, Grand Island was arrested for Aiding and Abetting 1st Degree Assault and 3rd Degree Assault. Abdifatah Nur, 21, Grand Island was arrested for Aiding and Abetting 1st Degree Assault and 3rd Degree Assault. Shafi Mohamed, 22, Grand Island was arrested for 2nd Degree Assault and Use of a Weapon to Commit a Felony.

Earlier in the morning, police responded to a home in the 200 block of Oak Street at 2:05 a.m. They found a man hiding behind the home who had been shot in the leg. The injuries were not life threatening and the bullet appeared to have exited out his leg. There were six suspects involved in that shooting identified at the time.

Just 35 minutes later, police responded to a stabbing in the 400 block of Cherry Street. The victim of the stabbing was identified as one of the suspects in the earlier shooting. The wounds were also not life threatening. Two others on scene had also been assaulted.

GIPD said the investigation is still ongoing and more charges will likely be filled.

Copyright 2020 KSNB. All rights reserved.

Latest News

Latest News