Advertisement

Two dogs rescued from Hastings house fire

Hastings Fire and Rescue saved two dogs from a house fire just before noon on Tuesday.
Hastings Fire and Rescue saved two dogs from a house fire just before noon on Tuesday.(KSNB)
Published: Jan. 12, 2021 at 3:47 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - Hastings fire officials are saying that “improper disposal of waste materials” led to the fire that significantly damaged a Hastings home Tuesday morning.

HFR and Hastings Rural Fire responded to a report of a fire in the 1900 block of Boyce Street at 11:40 a.m. Upon arrival, firefighters reported visible flames coming from the roof of the single-family home. Fire crews were able to get the fire under control within 10 minutes.

Fire Chief Brad Starling said the homeowner was not home when the fire started, but were able to recover two dogs from the basement of the house. The dogs were initially unresponsive, but first responders were able to administer oxygen to both dogs using masks made specifically for small animals until they were able to be taken from the scene for further treatment.

Starling said the fire caused significant damage to the structure, leaving it uninhabitable. The homeowner is receiving assistance from Adams County Emergency Management, the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

HFR was also assisted by the Hastings Police Department and the Hastings Utilities Department.

Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.