Advertisement

Hastings vet helps rescue dogs from fire.

Hastings Fire and Rescue saved two dogs from a house fire just before noon on Tuesday.
Hastings Fire and Rescue saved two dogs from a house fire just before noon on Tuesday.(KSNB)
Published: Jan. 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - A Hastings veterinarian was recognized Friday for her role in saving two dogs injured in a house fire.

Hastings fire chief Brad Starling and Adams County Emergency Manager Ron Pughes gave a certificate of appreciation to Dr. Tammy Craig of TLC Vet Care. Dr. Craig was recognized for quickly running to the scene and taking the dogs to her clinic for treatment.

Fire Chief Brad Starling said the homeowner was not home when the fire started, but were able to recover two dogs from the basement of the house. The dogs were initially unresponsive, but first responders were able to administer oxygen to both dogs using masks made specifically for small animals.

Hastings fire officials are saying that “improper disposal of waste materials” led to the fire.

Starling said the fire caused significant damage to the structure, leaving it uninhabitable. The homeowner is receiving assistance from Adams County Emergency Management, the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army.

HFR was also assisted by the Hastings Police Department and the Hastings Utilities Department.

Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.