Strong winds spark grass fire near Nelson
NELSON, Neb. (KSNB) - Friday morning the strong winds sparked up a grass fire near Nelson. This comes after crews in Webster and Nuckolls counties spent Thursday night battling a grass fire near Guide Rock.
The fire near 3100 and N Road started from wires creating a spark and catching a barn on fire. Firefighters believe that strong winds caused the wires to touch. The flames then carried over into the field and caught around 80 grass bales on fire.
Crews got onto the scene around 7:50 a.m. Area farmers brought their tractors out to disc the fields to prevent the spread. The fire only stretched about 3/4 of a mile.
“Hay is hard to put out. you have to spread it out otherwise you’re just wasting water,” Nuckolls County Emergency Manager Nick Elledge said. “So we left the bales to burn until we could get the rest of the fire under control and then we came back to deal with the hay.”
Some of the crews on scene helped with the fire near Guide Rock. They said the hilly terrain of that fire made it harder to contain.
“The wind and then you get over in that area there’s a little more creeks and rougher ground so it’s hard to get to the fire,” Elledge said. “With the wind carrying it so fast with gusts of 60mph it is hard to keep up with the fire.”
Crews were still out for part of the day making sure the wind didn’t ignite any more fires in the area.
Elledge said that if the area doesn’t get any kind of precipitation soon there could be more fires, especially if the winds pick up as it has been in recent weeks.
Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.