Cornhusker Trapshoot returns after year hiatus
DONIPHAN, Neb. (KSNB) - With the Cornhusker Trapshoot cancelled last year because of COVID-19, the annual event is back this week in Doniphan with thousands of teens competing for the top prize.
Many people believe shooting guns is a man’s sport but 14-year-old Sarah Malcom is proving them wrong.
“You’re just out there and there’s just nothing else that matters,” Malcom said. “It’s just the gun, you and the rocks.”
Malcom has been shooting ever since she was in the sixth grade.
“We practice three times-a-week and there’s always something I do, I like to sing a song in my head. It just helps me prepare,” Malcom said.
Malcom came all the way from Roca to compete in the 51st annual Cornhusker Trapshoot.
“It feels good,” Malcom said. “I really like being out here and I’m kind of sad that the season’s already over but I like being with everyone.”
She’s competing against more than 2,000 teens from five different states. Organizers said participation is a little bit lower than previous years.
“Usually we average just over 2,400,” Trapshoot Director Eric Javins said. “We’re just over 2,300, so we’re off a little bit but we’re not off a lot at this point.”
The Trapshoot was cancelled last year because of COVID-19. Javins said people weren’t happy about it, so to bring it back this year was his number one priority.
“It gives something for the kids to look forward to and a lot of the kids are really excited to be here,” Javins said. “It’s a good culmination for a lot of the kids to get out and shoot together.”
Javins said restrictions have loosened up quite a bit but they still closed their clubhouse to keep everyone outdoors.
Teens from 6-12th grade competed at the Trapshoot. On Saturday, judges will determine the winners on the last day of the competition.
Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.