Advertisement

Residents displaced after fire at GI assisted living facility

Grand Island Fire Dept. responded to fire at the 200 block of Piper Street.
Grand Island Fire Dept. responded to fire at the 200 block of Piper Street.(Grand Island Fire Department)
Published: Nov. 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (KSNB) - The Grand Island Fire Department responded to a structure fire Wednesday night at Edgewood Vista.

At around 7:00 p.m., firefighters were called out to the 200 block of Piper Street for a structure fire with visible flames on the outside of the building and in the roof.

When fire crews arrived, GIFD said around 10 people who were residents of the Edgewood Memory Care Home were safely evacuated. Fire crews took just over an hour to extinguish the fire inside the building. The residents were taken to the Headstart Child and Family Development building next door for shelter, until they were able to be transferred to the Good Samaritan Village.

GIFD Division Chief Tim Hiemer said there was significant damage to the attic space and visible damage to the outside. He also said residents would not be able to stay at the facility in the near term due to water and smoke damage.

The Grand Island Fire Department determined that the cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.