Edgewood Memory Care residents displaced after fire
GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (KSNB) - Several residents from Edgewood Grand Island Memory Care after a structure fire Wednesday.
Grand Island Fire and Rescue were called out to the fire at around 7:03 p.m. but didn’t arrive at the scene until four minutes later to find all the residents had made it out of the building.
Firefighters also noticed flames on the outside of the building but it had continued to burn through the roof, helping it get inside.
It took them about 45 minutes to completely put out the fire. GI Fire Division Chief Tim Heimer said none of the common areas were burned but they did suffer some water damage from the sprinklers, which is the very thing that put out the fire a whole lot quicker.
”GIPD did a tremendous job helping to a keep the residents calm, kept them warm until we could let them inside to a neighboring business,” Heimer said.
Heimer said the fire was started by smoking materials that were not properly thrown away.
Firefighters did coordinate with Headstart next door to take residents in overnight until they were able to get them transferred to Good Samaritan Society Village to stay temporarily.
”A lot of time with assisted living care areas, specialty care areas that’s a big concern of ours because a lot of times the residents aren’t able to move very quickly and so that’s always a big concern for us,” Heimer said.
Edgewood Memory Care did decline to comment on the matter but Good Samaritan Society Village did give us a statement that said.”
“The Good Samaritan Society – Grand Island Village has temporarily relocated residents from a nearby assisted living location. We feel fortunate to be able to lend a helping hand to members of our community. Our organization is dedicated to sharing God’s love through the work of health, healing and comfort.” - Ali Paulsen, Good Samaritan Society Grand Island Village Administrator
Copyright 2021 KSNB. All rights reserved.