$138,000 in Reaching Your Potential Scholarship funds awarded to 24 Nebraskans
HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - EducationQuest announced on Tuesday that 24 Nebraskans have been awarded a total of $138,000 in Reaching Your Potential Scholarship Funds.
EducationQuest’s Reaching Your Potential Scholarship Program provides renewable scholarships to low-income Nebraska students who face obstacles to college. Applicants are referred by community agencies, colleges, and select high schools across the state. Recipients attending a two-year college receive $3,000 annually, and recipients attending a four-year college receive $6,300 annually.
Since the program began in 2000, EducationQuest has awarded more than $7.4 million in scholarships to 622 Nebraskans. Of these, 81% are either currently enrolled in college or have graduated.
Twenty-three of the scholarship recipients are listed below alphabetically by hometown, along with the college they are attending or plan to attend. One student chose to remain anonymous.
- Amelia: Kassidy Hoerle, Chadron State College
- Bayard: Shelbi Klingsporn, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Emmet: Paulina Lopez Cobos, Northeast Community College
- Gibbon: Nylin Bowers, Central Community College
- Laurel: Cassandra Granquist, Wayne State College
- Lincoln: Irma Alferez, Nebraska Wesleyan University -- Ricardo Gato Gil, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Umayah Murad, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Zephyr Rose-McNeeLee, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Ricardo Gato Gil, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Umayah Murad, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Zephyr Rose-McNeeLee, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- Omaha: Ney Blui, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Paw Ka Pru Htoo, Nebraska Methodist College – Tammi J. Preston Scholar -- Halima Hussein, College of Saint MaryMae Lin, University of Nebraska at Omaha -- Agoum Monydhel, Creighton University -- Paw Soe, University of Nebraska - Lincoln -- Alyssa States, Wayne State College -- Nyaruot Teng, University of Nebraska at Omaha -- Mu Thaw, Nebraska Methodist College -- Yajaira Villagomez, University of Nebraska at Omaha -- Shayla Webb, College of Saint Mary -- Za Za Win, University of Nebraska at Omaha
- Tecumseh: Gina Golden, Southeast Community College
- West Point: Alyssa Kandies, Northeast Community College
Paw Ka Pru Htoo, who will attend Nebraska Methodist College in her hometown of Omaha, was named this year’s Tammi J. Preston Scholar. The recognition is named after the late Tammi Preston, EducationQuest’s long-time director of Outreach Services who passed away in 2011. The recognition honors the top-qualifying Reaching Your Potential recipient in each scholarship cycle.
Copyright 2022 KSNB. All rights reserved.