Hastings chicken coop a total loss after fire

Dog alerts neighbor of fire that started in the chicken coop
Dog alerts neighbor of a fire that started in the chicken coop in Hastings
Published: Feb. 15, 2023 at 6:00 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - A chicken coop was destroyed following a fire Wednesday.

Hastings Fire & Rescue was dispatched at 2:45 p.m. for a report of a fire of a building outside a resident’s home on the 5300 block of N. 1st .

Hastings Fire Marshal Anthony Murphy said it was actually a neighbor who heard his dogs barking, bringing their attention to the fire in the chicken coop.

Crew later learned the fire started in the coop due to a heat lamp that was used to keep the chickens warm.

Fortunately, the neighbor was able to safely remove the four chickens along with a few other items that were not damaged by the fire.

Once responders reached the site, the chicken coop was engulfed in flames and was slowly beginning to to ignite the tree row next to it.

Hastings Fire quickly worked to put out the fire before it spread any further.