Local4 partners with American Red Cross for blood drive on Oct. 10
HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - The America Red Cross is reaching out to people in the tri-cities to lend a hand (and an arm) to replenish the national blood supply.
Three locations around Hastings, Grand Island and Kearney will host the KSNB Local4 Blood Drive on Tuesday, Oct. 10.
The blood drive will be held from Noon to 6 p.m. at the following locations:
- First Saint Paul’s Lutheran Church (501 N. Burlington, Hastings, NE)
- Calvary Lutheran Church (1304 N. Custer, Grand Island, NE)
- Ft. Kearney Chapter (520 W. 48th St., Kearney, NE)
There are several ways all eligible donors can make an appointment to donate:
- Visit RedCrossBlood.org
- Call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767)
- Download the free Red Cross Blood Donor app
- Use sponsor code KSNB Local4
- Use Rapid Pass to save time at your donation. Visit RedCrossBlood.org/RapidPass to access.
The Red Cross national blood supply has fallen by about 25% since early August, as donor turnout dropped on the heels of one of the busiest travel seasons on record, back-to-school activities and an already active hurricane season. Blood product distributions to hospitals are outpacing the number of blood donations coming in, and distributions of some of the most needed blood types to hospitals have been reduced in recent weeks. The Red Cross is working with hospitals around–the-clock to meet the blood needs of patients – but can’t do it alone.
- All blood types are needed, and there is an emergency need for type O blood donors, as well as platelet donors.
- Individuals are needed to donate now and throughout the fall to help patients counting on lifesaving blood following accidents, during surgeries and for treatment of conditions such as sickle cell disease and cancer.
- Blood cannot be manufactured or stockpiled and can only be made available through the kindness of volunteer donors.
How to prepare yourself for a successful blood donation:
- Donors are encouraged to drink plenty of water before and after giving blood.
- Eat a healthy meal with iron-rich foods like red meat, beans or spinach before your donation. Avoid fatty foods if possible.
- Blood can be safely donated every 56 days. Power Red donors can give every 112 days.
- It’s the blood products on the shelves today that help save lives in an emergency.
Copyright 2023 KSNB. All rights reserved.