Update: 9-year-old Grand Island boy arrested again

Authorities arrested a man Saturday after he led them on a chase through three counties that...
Authorities arrested a man Saturday after he led them on a chase through three counties that included four stolen vehicles, the last of which he drove into the Tennessee River./Source: MGN(WVLT)
Published: Jul. 8, 2019 at 12:44 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Grand Island police Tuesday night arrested a nine-year-old boy for car theft, the same boy who was arrested Sunday night, also for car theft.

Police reports indicate the boy stole a maroon 1998 Jeep Cherokee Tuesday night about 7:40 near a residence in the 100 block of North Walnut. Police found the boy driving the Jeep and tried to stop him for speeding and running stop signs. They stopped the pursuit for safety reasons.

But police found the stolen Jeep about two hours later near 14th and Clark, which is about 1.5 miles away from where it was stolen.

Police contacted the boy and took him into custody. Charges are pending for reckless driving, no headlights, flight to avoid arrest and stop sign violation and for theft by unlawful taking.

Sunday night police got a report of a stolen car near 10th and Eddy. The vehicle was later seen near First and Locust. The suspect was driving a 2007 Honda Civic. After a short pursuit, the driver crashed the car into a house in the 300 block of Ashton Avenue.

The crash damaged the front porch area of the home, leaving a gaping hole in the bricks next to stairs leading up to the porch.

Police say the boy wasn't hurt and refused to get out of the car. Officers who broke in and took him out say he spit on them and used racial slurs.

The nine-year-old was cited Sunday for Felony Flight to Avoid Arrest and misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon (a knife), motor vehicle theft and assault on a police officer by spitting on him.

Police released the boy Sunday night to his parents. A police spokesman said that after the Tuesday night incident they will be meeting with local and state officials to determine what to do with the boy.