Crews busy overnight in the Tri-Cities for fireworks-related fires

Firefighters respond to a house fire caused by improper disposal of fireworks at a home on 700 block of South St. Joseph in Hastings. (Source: Hastings Fire & Rescue)
By  | 

GRAND ISLAND, HASTINGS, KEARNEY, Neb. (KSNB) - It was a busy night following the Fourth of July for firefighters in the Tri-Cities.

Hastings Fire and Rescue were called out to two fires that were caused by people not properly disposing of fireworks.

The first fire was just before 10:30 p.m. at a home in the 700 block of South St. Joseph Avenue.

Assistant Fire Chief Curt Smith said the home suffered exterior damage, including burning through the window. He adds that smoke got inside, but crews were able to quickly put the fire out. Nobody was injured and damage amounts are not in at this time.

The second fire crews dealt with was a dumpster fire in the parking lot of NAPA Auto.

Fireworks caused problems for the Grand Island Fire Department as well.

They responded to several dumpster fires, but no structures were involved.

Captain Phil Thomas said one fire did lead to a grass fire.

And in Kearney, the volunteer fire department dealt with four or five dumpster fires.

KVFD said the biggest thing is if you throw them away and the fireworks are hot, they will ignite the trash that's in the can already.

Remember to soak fireworks in water and let them lay out overnight before you throw them away so they don't continue to burn.