Firefighters warn of invisible killer: carbon monoxide

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (KSNB) - The Grand Island Fire Department is warning the public of a silent killer...carbon monoxide.

They are urging everyone to make sure they have a properly working CO alarm in their homes. Carbon monoxide is created when fuels such as natural gas, propane, and others fuels are not burned completely.

“CO gas is very common, typically on any given year we will go to probably 10 to 20 calls that involve this that are pretty serious in nature,” Fire Chief Cory Schmidt said. “In fact, the other day we transported a one and a half year old child to the hospital that was experiencing CO poisoning.”

CO poisoning symptoms are similar to the flu, so many people don't know they have a leak in their house.

“That gas is not detectable without some sort of alarm system,” Chief Schmidt said. “So without a working alarm the average person is not going to know it's even a problem.”

Firefighters say there should be CO alarms in basements and outside any sleeping areas of the house. If you have questions on the right one to buy you can call your local fire department.