Foodie Friday: Benefits of walnuts
September is National Cholesterol Education Month, did you know that walnuts are a good choice if you are trying to lower cholesterol?
Hy-Vee Dietitian Danielle Moran stopped by Local4 Today for this week's edition of Foodie Friday. She shared five amazing benefits if you add walnuts to your diet.
1. Researchers at Yale University recently found that participants in a study who ate two ounces of walnuts every day for six months had significant reductions in LDL (bad) cholesterol.
2. Studies show that walnuts may also help decrease blood pressure.
3. Walnuts are the only nuts that contain significant amounts of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
4. Walnuts contain powerful antioxidants and polyphenols that may help prevent cancer as well as memory loss and cognitive decline.
5. A ¼ cup serving of walnuts also gives you 2 grams of fiber, a nutrient that can help lower cholesterol and help you feel full.
All you need:
- 2 slices of whole grain bread (no added sugar)
- 1/4 avocado
- 1/3 cup baby arugula
- 4 cherry tomatoes, sliced widthwise
- 1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon balsamic glaze
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
All you do:
1. Toast bread in toaster or toaster oven. Scoop out avocado flesh and mash in a small bowl with a fork. Spread mashed avocado evenly onto each toast slice
2. Top avocado with arugula leaves, tomato slices and chopped walnuts
3. Drizzle with balsamic glaze, the sprinkle with salt and pepper before serving.