HASTINGS, Neb. (KSNB) - September is National Family Meals Month. So if you're looking for a meal for the whole family, you can start by turning to beef.
Hy-Vee Dietitian Danielle Perry said you can create nutritious meals by adding beef into the mix.
Beef has a unique mix of nutrients, including high-quality protein, iron, zinc, choline, selenium and vitamins B6 and B12. The essential nutrients found in beef provide our bodies and minds with the fuel we need at all stages of life to be the strongest version of ourselves.
Eating at least 4 ounces of high-quality protein from foods like beef at each meal provides your body with energy to lead an active lifestyle.
Research has also shown exercise is more effective for weight management when paired with a higher-protein diet, and beef provides the amino acids necessary for building and replenishing muscles.
Adding more protein to your meals – from foods in the meat and dairy groups, for instance – can be a simple way to help manage several age-related health issues. One of the most notable benefits of high-quality proteins, like beef, in your diet is its ability to build and maintain muscle.
Perry stopped by Local4 Today for this week's edition of Foodie Friday with a recipe for Tricked Out Tacos.
Tricked Out Tacos
All you need:
- 6 (8-in) multigrain tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 hard taco shells
- 1 ts. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 93% lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup fresh pico de gallo
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup tomato, finely chopped
- 1/4 c. low-fat plain squeezable Greek yogurt
- Lime wedges
All you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut out 12 (4-in) rounds from tortillas using a ring mold or biscuit cutter. Place tortilla round on a cookie sheet or rimmed baking pan and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Place a taco shell in center of each round on top of the cheese and bake 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven and wrap around the shells until they are stuck together.
3. Heat oil in skillet and add onion and cook until softened. Add ground beef & chili powder and cook until beef is fully cooked. Add salt for taste.
4. Fill shells with mixture and top with toppings