Fresh Thyme remains open after lightning strikes, roof catches fire

Grand Island Fire Department responds to a roof fire at Fresh Thyme caused by lightning. (Grand Island Police Department)

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (KSNB) - A local business remains open after lightning struck the roof, causing it to catch on fire.

The Grand Island Fire Department responded to a fire at Fresh Thyme around 10:18 p.m. Saturday.

Lightning hit the rubber roof, and blew a 5 x 5 hole in it.

Brian Stutzman, a battalion chief at GIFD, said the rain helped them put out the fire quickly. He said it took them about 20 minutes to put out all the hot spots.

Stutzman said there were some people inside, but no one was injured.

He said they've responded to fires caused by lightning before, but he's never seen one quite like this one before.