Peaceful demonstrations highlighted with NSP trooper kneeling with protesters

Published: Jun. 1, 2020 at 7:07 PM CDT
Email this link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

For the second straight night, Lincoln was under a city-wide curfew. And once again, protesters refused to go home.

However demonstrations for the most part were peaceful Monday night. Lincoln Police had a less visible presence than Sunday night. Instead of standing in front of the County/City Building in face shields and riot gear, law enforcement were inside watching through the windows. Officers also had cruisers parked a distance away.

Around 9:35 p.m. the group marched back towards the State Capitol building where the protest began. 10/11's Ellis Wiltsey said someone threw a water bottle towards the Hall of Justice so the crowd decided to leave because they wanted to keep protests peaceful.

This is the fourth straight night of protests sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

This group was smaller than Sunday's protest, but still comprised of hundreds of people. The group chanted "Black Lives Matter" and "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" as they marched down the middle of O Street with signs and megaphones.

Earlier in the evening Lincoln Mayor Leirion Gaylor Baird could be seen talking with several protesters in front of the Hall of Justice.

During our 10 p.m. newscast, we asked the Mayor if she was okay with protesters violating curfew.

"Well, for everyone’s safety, I would love for them to be home in their households. Where they won’t be potentially co-opted by the bad-actors who we’ve seen show up at their peaceful protests the last couple of nights. We imposed a curfew to keep the peace; they are being peaceful, we are okay with them continuing to get their message out. But we want them to be safe. We know there is a pandemic as well, and having large gatherings is something that can jeopardize everyone’s safety. We hope they are keeping mindful of that, but we know their message is important. And we want to hear their message and we do hear their message loud and clear."

Around 10:20 p.m. Nebraska State Patrol Major Mike Jahnke was seen kneeling in front of the State Capitol building with a protester. 10/11's Abbie Petersen was there and said they knelt together for nine minutes to symbolize the nine minutes the Minnesota police officer had his knee on George Floyd's neck.

Around 11 p.m. most of the protesters went home, however a small group of people followed by vehicles started walking on O Street taking up both eastbound lanes. The group made their way to Target on N. 48th Street where a disturbance occurred. Officers deployed tear gas to get the crowd to disperse and were seen arresting people near 44th and O Streets.

Still no sign of protesters leaving the hall of justice.

Posted by 1011 News on Monday, June 1, 2020

Posted by 1011 News on Monday, June 1, 2020

Latest News

Latest News