Man recalls hoverboard fire that badly burned his brother

Published: Apr. 19, 2017 at 11:07 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

It's happened again. Another hoverboard exploded, this time in the Tri-Cities. Federal regulators have recalled over 500-thousand of them, because the popular self-balancing scooters are catching fire right under people's feet.

Michael Lee says his brother was replacing the battery in one of his hoverboards early Sunday morning when it suddenly went up in flames. The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the incident.

Hastings Fire and Rescue was called to a home on Kingston Drive around 2:40am on Easter Sunday for a medical call. Assistant Fire Chief Curt Smith said there was a fire in the home, and the homeowner extinguished it. It was contained mostly to the hoverboard.

Michael Lee tells NBC Nebraska his brother was taken to CHI Health St. Elizabeth in Lincoln to be treated for burns. As of Wednesday night, Lee said his brother was still in critical care and had 50 percent of his body burned.

"His hair was singed off. He's in a lot of pain," said Lee.

The fire is the latest reminder consumers may be facing when using any product with a lithium-ion battery. The Consumer Product Safety Commission says at least a hundred hoverboards have burst into flames because of lithium-ion batteries that overheat.

Michael Lee says his brother bought the gadget on eBay just three weeks ago. NBC Nebraska did a simple online search and found thousands of results. Some were under $100, but that doesn't include the risk you could be taking.

CPSC Commissioner Elliot Kaye says the hoverboards have gone from hazardous to dangerous.

For the list of recalled hoverboards, go to cpsc.Gov.