Coach Hoiberg responds to fans concerned about his health

Published: Mar. 11, 2020 at 10:31 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Nebraska Head Coach Fred Hoiberg was taken to the hospital after the Huskers loss in the Big Ten Tournament on Wednesday. He was released from the hospital later that evening and diagnosed with Influenza A.

Video of Hoiberg visibily ill on the sideline sparked a frenzy among fans concerned about the coach's health.

Hoiberg tweeted Thursday morning addressing the concerns and thanked fans for their support.

"Please let it be known that I would never do anything that would put my team, family or anyone else in harm's way," Hoiberg said. "I was feeling under the weather on Wednesday and we felt the right thing to do was to get checked by a tournament doctor prior to our game in the Big Ten Tournament against Indiana. Once that medical official cleared me, I made a decision to coach my team. I would like to thank event staff for their care and professionalism. Also, thank you to everyone who has reached out for your support. This is a scary time for all of us. Let's offer our thoughts and prayers directly to those affected with Coronavirus."

Hoiberg told the broadcast crew before the game he wasn’t feeling well, and left to go to the locker room with a few minutes left in the game.

The Nebraska Athletic Department released a statement just after 11:30 p.m. on what unfolded.

"Before tonight’s Nebraska-Indiana men’s basketball game in the Big Ten Conference Tournament, Nebraska Head Coach Fred Hoiberg was checked by medical personnel. Hoiberg became ill as the game progressed and left the bench area late in the second half for precautionary reasons. Hoiberg was subsequently transported to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital in Indianapolis for further evaluation. Hoiberg was diagnosed with Influenza A."

The athletic department confirmed that Hoiberg was released from the hospital and returned to the team hotel.

A source tells 10/11 NOW that the Huskers basketball team was quarantined for more than an hour in the locker room. Reporters and other personnel were asked to stay away. There was no media availability. According to reporter Jeff Rabjohns, who covers Indiana sports for 247, the Huskers left Bankers Life Fieldhouse around 10:45 p.m. on Wednesday.

The Indiana Basketball team returned to its hotel in Indianapolis, according to the team's Twitter account.