Heavy Snow Scheduled for Monday, Central Nebraska Regional Airport Prepared

By  | 

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. -- With heavy snowfall predicted for Monday, the Central Nebraska Regional Airport is prepared to keep passengers from being delayed too long.

"It's been very busy. We've had, I think, four Vegas flights, and along with our Phoenix flights, we've got Sanford/Orlando that were going out. American Eagle, they've been full flights going out. And we were booked to capacity yesterday on Allegiant's," CNRA general manager Michele Gonzalez said.

It's been busy this entire week, and airport officials say it'll likely stay that way for another week.

"It's been an exhausting long week, and this next week that's going is going to be the same way," Gonzalez said.

There are reports of more than four inches of snow to hit central Nebraska Monday, which will likely cause flights coming into Grand Island to be delayed. Gonzalez said it's more likely flights from Dallas, Texas will be delayed due to storms rather than flights going out of Grand Island. However, regardless of where delays are, CNRA is ready.

"If it's decent weather - we just got a little bit of frost - we have some good people that can get it done in about 15 minutes. Otherwise, if it's snowing, it makes it a lot harder, and it could take up to a good 45 minutes to get it all de-iced and safe up here," Gonzalez said.

Airport officials said it's through the help of the Hall County Airport Authority that will have everything flying smoothly since they take care of snow on the tarmac.

"They do a phenomenal job of keeping the runways clear and getting it ready for these landings and for people getting off the planes, making sure it's safe," Gonzalez said. "They have good communication with us, letting us know what the runways look like, the braking action and stuff like that."

For passengers that do get delayed, the airport has a restaurant called Afternooner's.

"I have extra staff come in, but the most important thing is getting our food ready for the passengers," Afternooner's owner Terry Brown said. "I tell the staff to be patient, and we just kind of relax with them. We do fine."

Brown said they'll be open, keeping more staff on hand for as long as there are passengers waiting for flights.

"We accommodate the passengers as long as we can, and we have in the past. They appreciate it a lot, and we make them as comfortable as possible," Brown said.

Airport officials also said their passengers will be in good hands while waiting for flights.

"We try to do the very best that we can to keep passengers updated on information. We make announcements about every 30 minutes to let them know what's going on," Gonzalez said.

Airport officials do urge anyone coming to the airport Monday to be careful walking into the terminal. Many of the parking lots are still covered with ice, so people are urged to tread carefully.