Detecting radon around your household to prevent lung complications

By  | 

HEMINGFORD, Neb. Smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer but did you know that radon gas is the second?

Radon is an odorless, natural, radioactive gas that is released in rock, soil and water found in the foundations of your home. Elevated levels can cause damage to lung tissues and cause lung cancer. (Brian Sherrod, KNEP)

Radon is an odorless, natural, radioactive gas that is released in rock, soil and water and is usually spotted around the foundation of your home.

Radon is invisible but when it is trapped inside a building, it can be harmful at elevated levels.

The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services states that elevated radon levels can be found in one in every two homes in Nebraska.

Testing your home is the only way to know if you have elevated radon levels present.

If left unchecked, radon can accumulate in the home to levels that can damage the lung tissues and over time, cause lung cancer.

Free radon test kits are available to Panhandle residents including the counties of Banner, Box Butte, Cheyenne, Dawes, Deuel, Garden, Grant, Kimball, Morrill, Sheridan, Scotts Bluff, and Sioux only by emailing mhaas@pphd.org, calling PPHD at 308-487-3600 ext 108 or toll free at 866-701-7173 ext 108.