Preventing a fire in your household

By  | 

SCOTTSBLUFF, Neb. The weather is getting cooler and heaters are being turned on more frequently so you want to make sure you are consistently checking them.

You want to make sure your heaters aren't too close to your bed or other items that are flammable, sweep out your chimneys and check on the possibility of overheated wires. (Brian Sherrod, KNEP)

According to Chief Tom Schingle from the Scottsbluff Fire Department, you want to make sure your heaters aren't too close to your bed or other items that are flammable, sweep out your chimneys and check on the possibility of overheated wires.

You want to make sure that in any case of a fire, you have a place to get you and your family out safety.

Many people believe to grab their keys and even cell phones when leaving the house during a fire but those items can be replaced.

The Scottsbluff Fire Department would like to remind the public to check the batteries in their smoke detectors at least twice a year during daylight savings.

The upcoming daylight savings is on Sunday, November 3rd.

Scottsbluff Fire Department and the American Red Cross will assist anyone who needs help with smoke detectors.